The Copper T Intrauterine Device (IUD) is a small, "T-shaped" device, made of flexible plastic and wrapped in copper which is inserted into the uterus by a trained medical professional. It is hormone-free, so it does not alter a woman’s natural menstrual cycle. The IUD can stay in place for at least 10 years and is a highly effective form of contraception. Ability to become pregnant soon after removal is an advantage.
IUD does not protect you from Sexually Transmitted Infections. Therefore a condom needs to be used for protection against STI/HIV infections
1. IUD interferes with sexual activities
- NO. It will not cause any pain or discomfort during sex and it will not displace the IUD. Sexual pleasure will not be affected.
2. IUD increases the risk of having an ectopic pregnancy
- NO. It will not.
3. IUD gets embedded into the uterus and may travel to other parts of the body
- NO. Unless it is incorrectly inserted it does not get embedded in the uterus and never travel to other parts of the body.
4. Removal is painful
- Removal is done by a trained person under sterile conditions and it is not painful.
5. IUD increase the risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- NO. IUD does not increase the risk of PID. It is pre-existing infections that increase the risk.
Copper T 380 A IUD is a perfect method of contraception for couples who want to space their pregnancies and want to limit the number of children once their family is completed. Since it can be used for 10 years it is a good alterna - tive for sterilization.
If inserted within 5 days of unprotected sexual intercourse, the IUD provides almost 100% protection against pregnancy