A combined Oral Contraceptive Pill (OCP) containing derivatives of the female hormone Oestrogen and Progestin in low doses as Ethynyl Estradiol and Levonogestrel. Should be taken daily to avoid a pregnancy. Consistent and correct use provides you with 99.9% effectiveness. Manufactured in Germany by Bayer Schering Pharma. Has been used by the Sri Lankan women for more than 50 years. There is no delay in conceiving after discontinuation of the pill.
Pills should be taken every day irrespective of daily intercourse.
1. Oral pill causes birth defects.
- NO. It does not cause birth defects or affect the health of future children.
2. Oral pills will increase your acne NO
- It will help stop/reduce the incidence of acne.
3. Oral pills will increase pre menstrual tension
- NO. Oral pills will decrease the pre menstrual tension.
4. Oral pills will increase abdominal pain during periods
- NO. Pills will reduce the abdominal pain during cycles.
5. Oral pills make the menstrual cycles irregular
- NO. It makes the cycles regular
6. Oral pills will increase the chance of cancers
- NO. It will protect you from Ovarian and Endometrial Cancers.
7. Oral pills makes you fat
- NO. The progesterone in the pill may increase your appetite, which may lead you to eat more. But the weight gain can be easily managed with proper dietary care and regular exercise
Combined Oral Contraceptive pills are a perfect method of contraception for couples who want to postpone their first pregnancy and for those who want to space their pregnancies.
If 4 tablets taken 12 hours apart within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse, the pills provide over 90% protection against pregnancy